This is a beautiful delicate soup with the cream perfectly balanced by the buttermilk.
Ingredients: 8 – 10 Leeks (need about 1 Lb after trimming and cleaning) 1 Lb Potatoes – peeled and cubed 1/2 Lb Potatoes – peeled and cubed (optional) 1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter 1 Quart Vegetable broth 1 C Cream 1 C Buttermilk Chives, minced finely Kosher Salt Fresh Ground Pepper (white pepper looks nicer, but regular is fine too)
- Trim off and discard the dark green portion of the leeks, as well as the roots.
- Slice the leeks lengthwise and swish around in a bowl of cold water to wash out the sand and dirt (leeks are very sandy), then drain.
- Slice across the leeks to produce small half-moon shapes about 1/2″ wide.
- Add butter to pot and melt
- Add leeks to pot, and a big pinch of salt (maybe 1/2 t) and sweat on medium until soft.
- Add potatoes and vegetable broth. Raise heat to barely bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are soft (30 – 45 minutes).
- Turn off heat and puree in blender (in batches if necessary) or use an immersion blender if you have one, then return to pot.
- Optional – If you like chunks of potatoes, add the extra 1/2 Lb now, return to heat and simmer until soft.
- Add cream and buttermilk, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of chives over the top.