This is absolutely delicious, zero (0) points on Weight Watchers and also not “diet food”.
I’d eat this in a restaurant and have no second thoughts that I passed up the burger or wings. It’s that good.
There aren’t a lot of ingredients here and it’s not complicated to make, so you might expect it to be boring. It’s not. The Chili in Adobo gives it a beautiful, complex smoky flavor and the corn added at the end gives it a very nice texture contrast against the smooth beans and broth, and the lime gives it some nice brightness and citrus notes.
|1 or 2||Chilis in adobo sauce finely minced, with the sauce. (depends on how spicy you like things). You can start with one, then put in the other during cooking if it tastes too mild.|
|2||Pounds||Dry great northern, navy or cannellini beans|
|1/4||Cup||Better Than Bullion Roasted Chicken Base|
|2||Pounds||Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed about 1/2″. Don’t bother trimming off the fat. You can skim it off the top after the soup cools.|
|2||Limes||Cut into wedges|
- Mix the Better Than Bouillon with the water
- Saute onions in olive oil on medium heat until soft, but not brown.
- Add all the other ingredients except the lime, chicken & corn.
- Add water to cover by 2 inches and mix.
- Simmer until the beans are soft. This should be around 2 hours. Add more chicken stock as necessary.
- Add the chicken and the corn
- Add more chicken stock to bring the level up to an inch above the chicken.
- Bring to a simmer and cook another 10-15 minutes until a thermometer in the chicken says 160F.
- Remove all the bay leaves. Count them! Make sure you remove the same number you put in. They’re sharp even when cooked, and you don’t want to feed any to your guests.
- If you have time, refrigerate over-night and skim off any extra fat on the surface.
- Serve with lime wedges.
If you buy the “family pack” of chicken be sure to also increase the amount of the other ingredients, or the soup will taste flat and boring.
0 (zero!)Weight Watchers Points Plus Per Serving