This one uses Better Than Bouillon and is as good or better than anything I’ve ever made from scratch, and takes about an hour.
Even if you always make chicken soup from scratch, you owe it to yourself to try this at least once.
|2||Tablespoons/gallon of water||Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base|
|3||Pounds||Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4″x3/4″ chunks. (bite size, not critical, don’t bother trimming fat)|
|3||Stalks||Celery, cut bite-sized, including leafy tops|
|2||Small||Yellow onions, peeled, chopped into 1/2″ pieces|
|2||Large||Whole carrots, peeled and sliced into disks or strips|
|4||Cloves||Garlic, smashed and peeled|
|2||Large||Parsnips, peeled & cut into bite-size chunks|
|1/2||Bunch||Parsley, stems removed, chopped medium-fine|
|Fresh Ground Pepper|
- Mix the chicken base with the hot water and add to pot.
- Add everything else to the pot.
- If the liquid doesn’t cover the top of the ingredients, add water to cover.
- Slowly bring to a very gentle simmer (don’t let it boil!)
and cook for 30-45 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- Important: Taste it. If it doesn’t taste “chicken-y” enough, add more chicken base. If it’s not salty enough, add salt.
- Add pepper to taste. It takes quite a bit of pepper. Could easily be 2 tsp or more.
- Optional, but worth the time: Chill overnight and remove fat from surface of soup.
- Serve with Matzo Balls, noodles or dumplings. When reheating, use medium low heat and do not boil.
Serves 6 to 8