This is an amazing dish! It’s warm and comforting and fresh and smooth and a little sharp all at the same time, and makes an excellent fall or winter meal.
It’s great for company and can easily be prepared ahead, except for cooking the pasta.
And the best part is that it’s extremely easy to make, doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and tastes like you were cooking all day! 😎
|Chicken drumsticks/legs/thighs (dark meat), cooked.
Left-overs work great here!
|White (button) Mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
|Salt for the pasta water (approx, depends on the amount of water)
|Garlic, sliced very thin
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and cut into small pieces (1/2 bite-size)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the salt and the Penne
- While the Penne is cooking:
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium until barely hot and add the garlic. Gently saute until the garlic is barely light brown, then remove the garlic and discard.
- Set heat on medium-high, add the mushrooms and saute until the moisture has been released and evaporated.
- Add the chicken and saute until hot, cover and remove from the heat.
- When the pasta is ready, remove and drain completely, then add to the pan containing the chicken and mushrooms.
- Add about half of the pesto and mix to coat everything evenly.
- Serve immediatly with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Reggiano cheese.