This works very well with hot or sweet Italian Sausage, but also works well with almost any other good sausage you happen to have.
|1||Lb||Dry Navy Beans, rehydrated according to package directions|
|1 1/4||Lb||Sweet Italian Sausage Links, cut lengthwise, then into chunks.|
|1||Large or 2 Medium Red Onions, minced.|
|1||Quart||Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth (optional)|
|2||Stalks||Celery, chopped 1/4″|
|4 – 5||Large Cloves Garlic, finely chopped|
|Fresh Ground Pepper to taste|
- Rinse beans and discard anything that isn’t a Navy
- Add a little olive oil to a sauce pot and heat on medium until
- Add sausage and cook until no longer raw-looking
- Add onion and celery, and saute until very lightly browned.
- Add chopped garlic and saute until softened (not browned)
- Add beans and mix well
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf and mix well
- Add enough water to cover the top of the ingredients
by at least 2 inches, and heat on medium-high until just barely boiling, then reduce heat to a bare simmer.
- Reduce heat to very low and cook for 10-12 hours until beans are very soft
- Add water as necessary and stir and stir occasionally
to prevent it from becoming too thick
- Add parsley about a half-hour before serving
- Enjoy! (don’t forget to remove the bay leaves!)