The lentils dissolve into the broth leaving you with a warm, smooth tasty soup with chunks of sausage.
|1 1/4||Lb||Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage Links (depending on your preference), cut into 3/4″ chunks with scissors or knife.|
|1||Large or 2 Medium Yellow Onions, minced.|
|1||Quart||Reduced Sodium Chicken Stock|
|2||Stalks||Celery, chopped 1/4″|
|1||Head||Garlic, finely chopped|
|2||Carrots, sliced into 1/4 inch disks|
|Fresh Ground Pepper to taste|
- Rinse lentils and pour out on to a sheet pan and examine. Discard anything that isn’t a lentil.
- Rinse the lentils and drain.
- Add a little olive oil to the pot and heat on medium until shimmering.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove and save
- Drain off all the grease except for a few tablespoons. Add onion, carrots and celery, and saute until the onions are soft.
- Add chopped garlic and saute until softened (not browned)
- Add (optional) chicken broth, sausage, beans and parsley. Add water until the liquid is over the top of the lentils by two inches. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well. Add bay leaves.
- Cover pressure cooker and heat on high until pressure is at “high” then maintain pressure for 20 minutes. Cool your cooker by running cold water over and/or around pot, until the pressure is gone.
- Remove bay leaves