This is an amazingly yummy soup, even for people that don’t like squash.
|1||Large||Butternut Squash (about 2 Lbs)|
|5||Cups||Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- Peel the squash, cut in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds and fibers with a spoon, then cut into 1 or 2 inch cubes (neatness doesn’t count, since it’s all going though the blender anyway).
- Add the broth, squash, and onion to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 25 minutes, or until squash is soft.
- Process in a blender in batches until smooth.
- Optional: Refrigerate until needed
- Return to pot and reheat until hot, but not boiling
- Add pepper to taste. It probably won’t need any salt, but it will definitely need pepper.
- Add sour cream and mix with whisk until smooth
- Serve immediately
- If you won’t be serving the soup immediately, you can refrigrate it, then reheat it. It tastes much better if you add the sour cream right before serving.
Based on Barbara Bush’s Squash Soup Recipe